Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Home-Made Pasta and Ravioli

With the power out, I got kind of bored so I decided to try my hand at making homemade pasta. First big issue... I had no recipe. I rely on google for anything new I try. No power means no google--gasp!

I used my perogie dough recipe as a start and made some modifications--with great success.

This was our first attempt at cooking with the dehydrated eggs from our food stores. I mixed 1 tbs egg with 1 tbs water and assumed that made about 1 egg's worth of egg-like goo.


Egg Noodles:

6 tbs dehydrated egg
6 tbs water
Mix until smooth.

To this add:
2 cups all purpose flour
~5 tbs more water until the dough holds together.

Mix and knead until smooth, then roll out to about 1/4 - 1/8 inch thick. Munchkin kitchen labor is optional.


Slice with pizza cutter into ribbons.



Place on towel to dry slightly.

Boil in lots of salted water until al-dente. We ate them with just a little butter and they were delicious.

For the Ravioli, I followed a similar pattern with fewer eggs in the dough (not sure why, it just seemed like the thing to do).

Ravioli Dough:
2tbs egg, 2 tbs water, 2 tbs powdered milk
~1 cup flour, more water to make dough.

Filling:
1 cup cottage cheese, 1 fresh egg, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, ~1/4 cup bread crumbs

Assembly:
Roll dough as thin as you can (this dough was harder to work than the egg noodle dough).

Place ~2tbs globs of filling on half of dough at even intervals



flip second half of dough onto globbed half and seal between raviolis.

cut with pizza cutter.



Boil in salted water until they float.

We served these with spaghetti sauce and they were good. The thinner the dough the better they tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment