Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Lasagna Recipe

This is my #1 recipe for having people over. It makes a HUGE amount of food, it can be made ahead of time and held in the fridge until time to cook, it is very adaptable for hiding veggies--I have a list below of what I usually add. When I make this for my family, we usually have enough for dinner and lunch to follow. I then portion off any extras into quart sized freezer bags and freeze for later. The frozen and reheated portions look terrible (they freeze best when squished flat) but taste great and can be easily tossed into a lunch box.

Lasagna

1 box lasagna noodles (the kind you have to boil, I don’t like the texture of the no boil ones)

Cheese layer:
1 tub cottage cheese (this is cheaper than the ricotta cheese)
bread crumbs
1 egg
Italian seasoning
Cheese (I used Colby Jack, cut into 1 inch cubes)

Meat Layer:
1/2 jar spaghetti sauce
Onion
Ground meat (I used ~1/4 lb of ground deer meat, but I’m cheap)
Random veggies (grated zucchini, spinach, grated carrot, mushrooms)
Italian seasoning
Garlic salt

Follow the directions on the side of the lasagna noodle box for cooking and assembly directions.


Other notes:

The veggies are cooked up with the meat and hidden in the spaghetti sauce.

I usually end up with a lasagna that is 1 cheese layer and 1 meat layer. So the pan layers look like this

Cover the pan with foil and bake until the sauce at the sides start to bubble. When it bubbles, remove the foil and add extra cheese on top and allow to melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment